How can you not want to learn more about a recipe called “Pig Candy”?
No, it’s not candy for pigs, it’s candy made from pigs. Or rather bacon. And not so much candy as a sort of smoked and glazed bacon. But I’m not going to be particular. Pork fat + sugar = a winning combination in my book.
This recipe uses a topping made from brown sugar and cayenne pepper. You spoon it all over the bacon, which goes onto the grill for about 30-40 minutes. You’ll want to flip the bacon over every 15 minutes and spoon more topping over it.
Pig Candy Recipe for the BBQ
- 1 lb thick cut peppered bacon
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Arrange the bacon strips on a broiler pan.
- Combine brown sugar and cayenne pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Warm up the grill to around 300-350 degrees.
- Place the broiler pan with the bacon on the grill and cook for about 15 minutes, then flip the bacon.
- Lavishly coat the bacon with the brown sugar mixture and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Coat the bacon with the maple syrup on both sides and cook for another 5-10 minutes, depending on how crispy you like it.
- Remove from grill, let cool, then serve.
You’ll need to try not to eat this candied bacon all at once, it’s that delicious.